Saturday, April 3, 2010

Glimspes, Into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Glimpses, edited by Marjorie's daughter Virginia H. Pierce, puts a delightful twist on what could have been a typical biography. It is a compilation of stories, quotes and letters from Marjorie and those she was closest to, gathered into one beautiful book giving an outsider a "glimpse" into the simple yet profound life of a kind hearted and practical woman.

I have read and re-read this book several times.
The first time I read this book I was in my freshman year of college. I probably stole it from my Mother's book shelf thinking I would like to know about this great woman, who at the time I really new nothing about. I soon found within it's pages many life lessons, and an example of a woman I wanted to emulate. I also found much comfort in the stories told, and the letters written. This may have been due to the fact that I was living a whole three hours away from home for the first time and struggling to make friends and find my "place" in a new place and felt connected to the motherly figure available at my fingertips.
Whatever the case may be it has given me comfort time and time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment